Gianluigi Buffon has reportedly left the door open to a Italy return just two weeks after announcing his international career retirement. The Juventus safe hands made this known on Monday in a ceremony where he was crowned Serie A Best Player.
The legendary Italian who added to his huge silverware collection after winning the Serie A Best Player award at the Gran Gala del Calcio picked up the award for his performances during the 2016-17 season at a star-studded ceremony in Milan on Monday, organised
by the Italian Football Federation.
Buffon left the San Siro pitch in tears on November 13 after his 175th appearance for the Azzurri ended in defeat as Italy failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup finals after being beaten 1-0 on aggregate by Sweden in a European World Cup play-off.
But recent reports coming from Italy suggest Buffon will always be available to play for Italy. Buffon has previously said that this season will be his last unless Juventus win the Champions League, in which case he will stay on to play at the Club World Cup.
"I took a break from the national team, but I could never desert a possible call in the future if needed. I'm of a certain age, so it's right for me to take a pause.
"With the way I am though,
if there were a total absence of goalkeepers and they asked me to come back, I'd be there even at 60." the veteran goalkeeper told reporters at the Gran Gala del Calcio as quoted in the Daily Mail