latest football news in Nigeria

Liverpool 2-1 Burnley: Emre Can to the rescue at Anfield

EPL By: Collins Udeme | 12/03/2017

Liverpool 2-1 Burnley: Can to the rescue at Anfield

Liverpool came from a goal behind to secure a 2-1 win at Anfield on Sunday over a Burnley side who have not won away from home all season, 

Ashley Barnes shot Burnley into an early lead after seven minutes before a first half late equaliser by Wijnaldum brought the Kops back on level terms. 

A bright start from Liverpool saw them dominate possession at the restart but were made to wait until the 61st minute for the winner as Emre Can teed up the ball before unleashing a low drive into the bottom corner.

Divock Origi replaced the injured Roberto Firmino in the starting line-up in the only change made by Jurgen Klopp to the Liverpool side deployed against Arsenal last time out.

Meanwhile, Joe Gomez and Harry Wilson were named on the bench, with Dejan Lovren ruled out after sustaining a sore back in a collision in training on Saturday.

Burnley got the game under way, with Liverpool attacking the Anfield Road end in the first half.

After a quiet start to proceedings at Anfield, Wijnaldum sparked things up when he headed a Burnley corner away before Boyd attempted to volley the clearance in, but saw his effort go high and wide.

And just when Liverpool thought they had been let off the hook, a brilliant low cross from the right-hand side found Barnes, who produced a fine finish to put the visitors

The goal brought out a better performance from the Reds as Mane steamed past his man on the right before almost putting the ball on Origi's head. The Reds began to move the ball much quicker and got their reward when Origi produced a quick turn before firing a cross in that won a corner.

Burnley did well to clear the set-piece but there was more trouble coming from the Reds. Again, Origi got involved. The Belgian swung in a cross from the left and after Burnley failed to clear, Wijnaldum was on hand to poke the ball home for the equaliser.

Liverpool huffed and puffed and just about deserved Wijnaldum's late leveller which ensured things were even at half-time.

Second Half

Wijnaldum’s strike meant Liverpool were able to approach the second period with a much more positive outlook as they attempted to edge their way in front – and they set about forcing their opponents back from the off.

Shortly before the hour, Klopp elected to bring on Ben Woodburn in place of Coutinho and within seconds the home team were ahead courtesy of another midfielder. Collecting the ball 25 yards from goal, Can took a touch before zipping a low effort right into the bottom corner beyond the reach of Heaton and put the Reds 2-1 ahead.

Liverpool were by now offering more going forward, but Burnley retained a threat and Robbie Brady almost caused a scare when a half-cleared free-kick dropped for him on the corner of the area, but he sliced well wide.

With the game edging towards its conclusion, Lucas Leiva replaced Origi to provide more midfield cover – and only a fine fingertip save from Heaton prevented Sadio Mane from adding a third as he hooked Can’s pass towards goal inside the box.

But in stoppage time, a long throw into the Reds’ box eventually fell for Brady in a dangerous area, but the hosts were grateful to see him skew over the crossbar under pressure from Klavan.