banner
banner

Schalke’s McKennie: US has moved on after World Cup failure

German Bundesliga By: Lolade Adewuyi | 31/10/2018

Weston McKennie

Weston McKennie believes that the United States men’s national team has effectively put behind the failure of missing out of the 2018 FIFA World Cup. The US failed to qualify for Russia 2018 and is now turning to younger players like McKennie for the future.

“We’ve definitely moved forward since then, we have many new faces in the national team, a lot of young guys,” 20-year-old McKennie told this journalist after the game against RB Leipzig on Sunday during the Bundesliga Tour organised by StarTimes.

“I think we’re starting the circle over and just working towards not only qualifying for the World Cup but also the next tournaments like the Gold Cup.

“I think we took it on the chin and it hurt but it’s something that you can’t really dwell on the past so much. You have to take the experiences from it and take a step in the right direction with the national team.”

The Schalke 04 midfielder turned down an opportunity to play college football and instead went pro and moved to Germany after playing there as a teenager.

“I came here as a young kid to play in Germany in a town near Kaiserslautern. Schalke was always the right choice for me,” he said.

While Schalke are struggling to find good form this season, the American believes that they are going to make things work.

“We’re not keeping our heads low like others would. My target is to develop as much as I can and to be there for my team and help them in any way that I can to win games. The team goal is to pick things back up and to show we can play football. We still have over 20 games left and anything can happen,” McKennie said.
1