Tot 1-3 Man City: Cityzens close in on Premier League title

EPL By: Iseghohi Odianosen | 14/04/2018

Manchester City defeated Tottenham Hotspur 3-1 at the Wembley Stadium on Saturday to move closer to winning the Premier League title, first-half goals from Gabriel Jesus, Ilkay Gundogan and a second-half goal from Raheem Sterling ensured the Etihad outfit won the tie and Christen Eriksen scored for the host at halftime.

Leroy Sane hit the woodwork in the third minute as helpless Hugo Lloris watched as the post denied the German from a close range.

Manchester City pressured Tottenham to sit back in their own half as David Silva, Kevin de Bruyne and Raheem Sterling continued to enjoy a lot of possession in the opening minute.

Sterling effort went wide in the 7th minute of the game as Manchester City add more pressure to the home team.

Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane delivered a cross but Manchester City defence was alert to clear the ball, as City continued to push forward to get the opener.

Manchester City launched an attack on Tottenham as Illkay Gundogan shot was block by the Spurs defence.

Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany delivered a perfect pass to Gabriel Jesus in the 21st minute to break the deadlock.

Tottenham conceded the second goal from a penalty spot after goalkeeper Hugo Lloris fouled Sterling at the edge of the penalty area but the referee awarded a penalty to the visitors.

Erik Lamela fired a long-range shot in the 31st minute but his effort went wide in the 31st minute, but Manchester City continued to show dominance as they came close to score the third goal after a nice drive by Sane.

De Bruyne was showed a yellow card for a foul on Tottenham player.

Christen Eriksen scored the first goal for Tottenham in the 42nd minute.

Jesus was shown a yellow card just in the stoppage time of the first half, the first 45 minute ended 2-1 in favour of Manchester City at the Wembley Stadium.

Tottenham resumed the second half with much determination to restore parity as advanced forward to get the equaliser but the visitors remained calm especially in the defence.

Dele Alli almost got the second goal but he was challenged by a Manchester City defender as the host continued to probe further for their second goal.

The host never stepped low in the bid to get the equaliser as they continued to launch series of attack to get their second goal.

Jesus almost got the third goal but he blasted it in the 63rd minute, both managers made their first changes as Nicolas Otamendi replaced Sane and for Tottenham, Heug min Son was brought in for Erik Lamela.

Ousmane Dembele was shown a yellow card for pulling De Bruyne in the 68th minute of the encounter.

Sterling almost scored the third in the 70th minute but his effort was saved by the Tottenham defence after he rounded up Lloris.

Sterling finally got on the score sheet after he blasted in a shot past Lloris in the 71st minute. lucas Moura was brought in for Lamela by Spurs coach Mauricio Pochetinno.

Pep Guardiola made his second challenge as he brought in the 75th minute of the match as Bernardo Silva was brought in for Jesus.

Alli was replaced by Moussa Sissoko in the 83rd minute of the clash and DeBruye was replaced by Yaya Toure in the 88th minute at the Wembley.

The game ended 3-1 in favour of Manchester City and a win for West Bromwich Albion against Manchester United will ensure Guardiola's men clinch the Premier League title.